Friday, June 1, 2007

THE NAME OF GOD - CHAPTER ONE

In Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesia Dictionary) word 'Allah' means: the name of God in Arabic, the most perfect universe creator; The Only God worshiped by the faithful people. This topic will study/discuss the name of God as personal name or term; general appellation or a particular given name that linked together with an event or someone who involved.


God’s Personal Name.

His Word to Moses

Exodus 3:14
God said, "I am who I am. You must tell them:
'The one who is called I AM has sent me to you.'

"I am who I am. The one who is called I AM has sent me to you". That is the beginning God introduce Himself to Moses. When Moses asks who sent him and what's His name, the verse is :

Exo 3:15

Tell the Israelites that I , the LORD (YHWH), the God (Elohe) of their ancestors,
the God (Elohe) of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, have sent you to them.
This is my name forever; this is what all.

"Aku adalah Aku"(Indonesia), "Ehyeh Asyer Ehyeh"(Hebrew), "Ego Eimi Ho On"(Greek) or YAHWEH is a proper name consist of 4 consonant YHWH which is called Tetragrammaton. The meaning of Yahweh is God's presence actively or I AM, Be Present and Everlasting Existence.

God introduce His proper name for the first time to Moses which before, on Patriarch time named El/ Elohim/ Eloah. In order that Yahweh could become the God of Abraham & human beings, the translator insert the name of Yahweh. We can find it in MT (Masoret Text), the text that protected & compiled hereditary by Masoret priest family.

Practically the Israelites never mention God with 'YHWH', because it’s sacred. They change YHWH with Adonai which means Master or Lord. The verses that prohibit calling just Yahweh

Exodus 20:7 ; Deutero 5:11
"Don't use my name for evil purposes, for I, the Lord, your God,
will punish anyone who misuses my name".

Lev 24: 16 says
" Any Israelites or any foreigner living in Israel who curses the Lord shall be
stoned to death by the whole community"

Some uses of YHWH in Old Testament appear for 6823 times. This is the greatest usage/utilizing compared to the use of divine name Elohay or Adonai. Some examples in using name YHWH as follows:

I am who I am. The one who is called I AM has sent me to you". That is the beginning God introduce Himself to Moses.

1. First time YHWH called by Eve

Genesis 4:1
Then Adam had intercourse with his wife, and she became pregnant. She bore a son and said, "By the LORD's (YHWH) help I have gotten a son." So she named him Cain.


Since that the name of YHWH is called by human more often. (Gen 4:20) "....It was then that people began using the Lord's Holy Name in worship"

2. Name YHWH called by Noah

Genesis 9:26
“Give praise to the LORD (YHWH), the God of Shem!
Canaan will be the slave of Shem”

3. Name YHWH called by Abraham

Genesis 12:8
“…………There also he built an altar and worshiped the LORD (YHWH).”

4. Name YHWH called by Isaac

Genesis 26:25
“Isaac built an altar there and worshiped the LORD (YHWH).
Then he set up his camp there, and his servants dug another well.”

5. Name YHWH called by Jacob

Gen 28:16
“ Jacob woke up and said, "The LORD (YHWH) is here!
He is in this place, and I didn't know it!"

6. Name YHWH worshipped by Moses & Israelites

Exodus:15:1-3
Exo 15:1 Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the LORD:
"I will sing to the LORD (YHWH), because he has won a glorious victory;
he has thrown the horses and their riders into the sea.

Exo 15:2 The LORD (YHWH) is my strong defender; he is the one who has saved me. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will sing about his greatness.

Exo 15:3 The LORD (YHWH) is a warrior; the LORD is his name.

To Be Continued to Chapter TWO


Jesus Loves You and All Your Family

Article in Indonesia

0 Comments: