Monday, June 4, 2007

THE NAME OF GOD - CHAPTER TWO


General Appellation Name.

As mentioned before, general appellation name could means status, title, call etc? In the beginning human call God 'El' or 'Adonai". The origin word of El, Eloah, Elohim and Adonay as follows:

The History of EL Word
El is a general word in Semitic (Canaan) which is used to worship The Highest Him. The history of this El word comes from Godliness personal name of Canaanites. El is not the real personal name. The real idea of El is "Great, Strong, and Power". Abraham and Melkisedek encounter is an example in which Melkisedek is El Elyon Priest.The meaning of El Elyon is "El the Mighty Elyon " or "El is the real name"

The History of ELOAH Word
In Semitic the familiar Godliness name is not El only, but Eloah also. The history of Eloah is from El which means "Great, Strong, and Power" and the root word means "swear" and then become a fused name Eloah which means "The people who tied oath of allegiance up to Eloah". Eloah name appear in 57 times in Old Testament. 42 times among it are in Job, and 15 times are outside Job.

The History of ELOHIM Word
Elohim is rooted from El. Elohim comes from the fusion of 2 words Eloah and Im. The suffix Im at Elohim refers to the plural words. So Eloah is a singular word from the plural word Elohim.

In Old Testament Elohim is mentioned for 2570 times

The History of ADONAY Word

Adonay comes from word Adon and Ay, which means: Master or My lord. Adonay appear 449 times in Old Testament, and the most usage of Adonay is in Ezekiel for 217 times.

From the name as appelation, call or title in Old Testament we divide it based in status, function, title and nickname as follows:

1. Appellation name related to the status.

For examples: Elohim = God
Adonai = Master, Lord


2. Appellation name related to the function/ position.

For examples :
El Maleki = God is my King (Psa 68:24)
O God, your march of triumph is seen by all,
the procession of God (El Maleki), my king, into his sanctuary

Elohe Tishuathi = God my Saviour (Psa 18:46)
The LORD lives! Praise my defender! Proclaim the greatness of the
God (Elohe Tishuathi) who saves me.

Yahweh Bore = God the Creator (Isa 40:28)
don’t you know? Haven't you heard? The LORD (Yahweh Bore) is the everlasting God; he created the entire world. He never grows tired or weary. No one understands his thoughts.

Yahweh Hasophet = God the Judge (Judge 11:27)
No, I have not done you any wrong. You are doing wrong by making war on me. The LORD (Yahweh Hasophet) is the judge. He will decide today between the Israelites and the Ammonites."

Yahweh Rophe = God the Healer (Exo 15:26)
He said, "If you will obey me completely by doing what I consider right and by keeping my commands, I will not punish you with any of the diseases that I brought on the Egyptians. I am the LORD (Yahweh Rophe), the one who heals you."

Yahweh Roi = God my Shepherd (Psalm 23:1)
The LORD (Yahweh Roi) is my shepherd; I have everything I need.

Yahweh Jireh = God Supply/Equip (Gen 1:26)
Then God (Yahweh Jireh) said, "And now we will make human beings; they will be like us and resemble us. They will have power over the fish, the birds, and all animals, domestic and wild, large and small."


3. Appellation name related to the title.

For examples :
El Elyon = The Most High God (Gen 14:18)
"And Melchizedek, who was king of Salem and also a priest of the Most High God (El Elyon),
brought bread and wine to Abram"

Yahweh Tsebaoth = God of Universe (1 Sam 1:3)
every year Elkanah went from Ramah to worship and offer sacrifices to the LORD Almighty (Yahweh Tsebaoth) at Shiloh, where Hophni and Phinehas, the two sons of Eli, were priests of the LORD.

El Emunah = The Faithful God (Deutero 7:9)
Remember that the LORD your God is the only God (El Emunah) and that he is faithful. He will keep his covenant and show his constant love to a thousand generations of those who love him and obey his commands,

El Gibbor = Mighty God, Isa 9:6
A child is born to us! A son is given to us! And he will be our ruler. He will be called, "Wonderful Counselor," "Mighty God El Gibbor)," "Eternal Father," "Prince of Peace.

Elohim Kedoshim = The Holy God (Jos 24:19)
"Joshua said to the people, "But you may not be able to serve the LORD.
He is a holy God ( Elohim Kedoshim )and will not forgive your sins. He will tolerate no rivals,

El Hay = The Living God (Jos 3:10)
Jos 3:10 as you advance, he will surely drive out the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Hivites, the Perizzites, the Girgashites, the Amorites, and the Jebusites. You will know that the living God (El Hay) is among you

El Shadday = Almighty God (Gen 17:1).
When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said,
"I am the Almighty God (El Shadday). Obey me and always do what is right.


4. Appellation name related to nickname.

For example:
El Bethel = God who is in Bethel (Gen 35:7)
and there he built an altar and called the place El-bethel,
because there God had revealed himself to him when he fled from his brother.

El Kanna = The Jealous God (Exo 20:5)
You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD (El Kanna) your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,

El Mauzi = God is my Refuge (Psalm 43:2)
Psa 43:2 For you are the God (El Mauzi) in whom I take refuge; why have you rejected me? Why do I go about mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?

El Marom = God in Highest Place (Micah 6:6)
"With what shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before God on high (El Marom)?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old?

Yahweh Maginnenu = God is my Shield (Psalm 33:20)
we put our hope in the LORD; He is (Yahweh Maginnenu) our protector and our help.

Yahweh Kerenyishi = God is Horn of Salvation (Psalm 18:3)
The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my rock, in Him I take refuge; my shield, and my horn of salvation (Yahweh Kerenyishi), my high tower.

Yahweh Metsudhathi= God is my Fortress City (Psalm 18:3)
The LORD is my rock, and my fortress (Yahweh Metsudhathi ), and my deliverer; my God, my rock, in Him I take refuge; my shield, and my horn of salvation (Yahweh Kerenyishi), my high tower.

Yahweh Nissi = God is my Banner (Exo 17:15)
" And Moses built an altar and called the name of it, The LORD Is My Banner (Yahweh Nissi)

Yahweh Sali = God is my Rock (Psalm 18:2)
The LORD (Yahweh Sali) is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my rock, in Him I take refuge; my shield, and my horn of salvation, my high tower.

Yahweh Shammah = God is Presence (Ezek 48:35)
"It shall be eighteen thousand reeds round about. And the name of the city from that day shall be, The LORD (Yahweh Shammah) is there.'

Here are my explanations about God's names in Old Testament. His personal name is YHWH and He has so many titles and nicknames.

Recently, Christian people in Indonesia talk about the name of God. Some would like to call Him "Yahweh"; others want to call him "Allah". Hi! People who talk and make noisy about God's

name! "HE IS GOD". It's up to you how you call Him, He would understand! God wants your heart not your mouth (words). You shouldn't make a fuss about God's name. The important thing is "Have you been the true Jesus follower? Have you heard God's voice?"


"Jesus always loves you and He calls ABBA to the FATHER"

Article in Indonesia

0 Comments: